English Language Arts - Methods and Madness

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Book Recommendation

My unit with the ninth graders is centered around The Glass Castle, Jeannette Walls' memoir. It's a GREAT book; I definitely recommend it for pleasure reading, but I would also recommend it for a classroom read. The "chapters" are nice and short, which is very ideal for assigning homework (our students get reading quizzes every day, so this book will help them remember the important details from each mini-chapter), and the details Walls includes provides a wonderful foundation for creative writing activities. :~)

I was dubious about teaching a book that isn't "tried and true," but I think the students will enjoy reading the story of a "real person."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, this means that 1. this is a good book and 2. the added benefit is that it'll be easy for the kids to do well on the quizzes (which are not my requirements, but my CT's).

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's an integrated classroom. I'm excited to take the special education course next semester so I know better how to help the students who need the extra attention. Right now, we aren't equipped to help them in the way they need. Thanks for your interest.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home